BBC Northern Ireland’s Talent Development department is seeking to build a list of comedy writers and writer/performers to collaborate with on various projects. Previous writing or performing credits are not essential, but you will have a distinct and confident comedic voice and be able to demonstrate commitment to the genre. We are particularly interested in writers from backgrounds that are underrepresented in Northern Ireland comedy.
This is not a commissioning brief or a promise of work. We want to meet untapped writing talent from Northern Ireland. We aren’t looking for the finished product. We want sparks of genius from emerging writers and performers who, with the right development, could contribute to future comedy production at BBC Northern Ireland.
For this call we are asking for your best characters. They will be distinct personalities that we have not seen before, who will feel relevant and significant within a contemporary Northern Ireland setting. We want returnable characters who can make us laugh in sketches on radio and TV but also have potential to be developed further.
WHAT WE WANT
• EITHER a script of your best character-based writing (max 10 pages) OR a video or audio clip of max. of 1-2 minutes featuring your original character
(Please let us know of any previous professional development that the script or character has gone through)
• PLUS 1-2 paragraphs pitching/describing your character
• PLUS 1-2 paragraphs about yourself, any previous writing experience or relevant info
• Your script could be a monologue or a story, but if you feel that a dialogue scene would bring out the best in your character, that’s fine.
• We want material with multiple jokes and funny lines throughout. We’re not looking for slow build-ups to one punchline at the end.
• The script can include extra characters, but the focus should be your main character/s.
• We welcome submissions from writer/performers as well as writers who don’t perform their own material.
• We prefer scripts in a PDF format, video in .mov and audio in .mp3 or .wav. However we will accept other formats where this is not possible.
WHAT WE ARE LOOKING FOR IN YOUR WRITING
• The quality of the writing in the script and character description
• The originality of the idea
• The strength of voice in the writer or writer/performer
WHO CAN APPLY
You must be 16 years or older as of 7th December 2020 and have the right to work in the UK.
This opportunity is open to writers who can represent the culture of Northern Ireland with authenticity (for example you may be from, or have lived or worked in Northern Ireland). Writers must be able to demonstrate a clear understanding of the ethos and diverse characters of Northern Ireland and be confident that they can deliver authentic dialogue and relevant Northern Irish stories in a fresh and original way.
All writing must be original work and not infringe the rights of any other party. As with development of any project, we may require further drafts and revisions of the script.
HOW TO APPLY
• Send your scripts, character descriptions, information about yourself and your contact details to Gareth.email@example.com
• Deadline for submission is 5pm on Monday 4th January 2021
• You may submit as an individual or a writing team of no more than two people.
• You may submit multiple scripts or audio/video files
• All information will be handled and stored in accordance with the BBC’s GDPR policies.